We come in when the "new normal" sets in
Runway strives to redefine the experience of loss for families after a loved one has passed away
The work of Runway for Recovery has been focused on families and children since its inception. In our new chapter of “Runway Re-Imagined,” we are diverting the largest portion of funds raised to begin directly providing grants to families who have lost a loved one to breast cancer in order to reduce financial and logistical burdens and bolster families with psychological, social, and financial support. We've brainstormed with many of those in our community who have lost a loved one along with professional doctors, therapists, and social workers. We've established a preliminary list of ways grant funding might be used, but given that this is a pilot year of distributing grants directly, Runway for Recovery is committed to being flexible with families in order to address their specific needs, and we welcome their feedback from our applicants, both on the application process and the funding areas addressed by our grants.
The current grant application cycle is open until September 30th, 2019.
Below is a timeline for our first, pilot grant funding cycle:
July 1 -- September 30 - Application Open for funding
Mid-October -Recipients Notified/Announced
The Runway Show in Late October (10/25) - Recipients celebrated (if opted-in)
Am I eligible to apply for a Runway for Recovery (R4R) Grant?
You are eligible to apply for a Runway for Recovery grant if you are a U.S. resident and you are the immediate family member of someone who passed away from breast cancer and/or the caregiver for a child/children who lost a parent to breast cancer. Runway for Recovery prefers to fund families who live in the New England area but will review applications from families living anywhere.
Who is R4R Looking to Fund?
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements stated above, the best candidates for funding from Runway for Recovery are individuals who can make a clear and direct connection between their current financial, emotional difficulties, and their experience with losing a loved one to breast cancer. If you are not sure whether or not you would be a good candidate for funding, please email your specific questions to Runwayforrecovery.firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be happy to give you feedback about whether it is appropriate for you to apply. If you have limited internet access, you may call our office at 617-710-2172.
Good candidates for a Runway for Recovery grant fit most of all of the below criteria:
- Live in New England
- Have immediate financial needs related to support services for caregiver/children that are not being covered
- Are not able to get financial assistance from any other source
- Are struggling financially as a result of their family experience with cancer (e.g., lost wages, high medical bills, etc.) or its aftermath (e.g., limited ability to work)
- Are limited in their employment options after the family’s experience with breast cancer
- Are not sure where to turn and are looking for a starting point for familial support
What are some examples of services that Runway for Recovery will fund?
- Summer camp fees & travel to/from camp ($3,000)
- Childcare services (daycare, babysitting services) (variable)
- Counseling Services for the caregiver/children ($5,000)
- Playgroup therapy sessions for kids
- Support Groups for Adults
- Tutoring/other academic support for children ($2,000)
- Extracurricular activities for children (i.e. sports teams, leagues, clubs, classes, memberships, etc.) ($1,500)
- Alternative Healing & Wellness Classes (acupuncture, yoga, meditation classes) ($1,200)
- Books, supplies for academic work ($500)
- Continuing Ed or Vocational Training for caregiver ($3,000)
- Continuing School Tuition (variable)
- Gym memberships ($1,000)
- Unmet/residual Medical bills (variable)
- Financial Advisor ($500)
- House cleaners or professional organizer (one time or regularly) ($1,500)
- Meal Support ($1,500)
- Other (Runway for Recovery understands that there may be large areas of need we have not identified in this list and very much invite applicants to suggest other areas)
Please note that Runway for Recovery will award grants to recipients but will pay the third parties for the services directly.
Runway honors and supports families affected by breast cancer and dedicates resources to support families who have lost caregivers to the disease.
We foster a sense of community within the families, children, and survivors that we work with to inspire joy in the midst of a seemingly hopeless time. We are here for those who do not live long enough to see a cure. And we will keep doing our work, even when a cure has been found.
Days Lefts to Apply for Funds
We need your help
The Runway community has been fortunate enough to meet over 250 men, women, and children who have been affected by breast cancer. All the funds, over $900K since our founding, goes to wrap-around services for families after losing a parent to breast cancer. We join them to celebrate life, love, and their strength. We are lucky to be a part of it all.
We want nothing more than to continue changing the lives of those affected by this disease in big ways and small. This is where you come in! Any donation truly helps and we are extremely grateful.
You may donate online by clicking the button below or sending a check to:
Runway for Recovery
14 Inn Street
Newburyport, MA 01950